E. Hines wrote:

I'm still on 9.1 here. The old Kaddressbook (assuming you use kmail, of course) was the /home/your_username/.kde/share/apps/kab -- If it has been changed in the newest version of kde I wouldn't know. One way to check is to open it up and see if it is an addressbook file. Kwrite can read the contents.
I like Anne's solution of renaming .kde to something else. Then you can always restore from the backup. Probably still have to use the "import" function in the addressbook to restore the addresses, though. I don't know why simply copying the kab has never worked for me. But first, does a new user have the same icon problem on the desktop, or not?

Back to the Christmas ham, now.

Firstly, the icons for the new user work as I would expect, ie they sit where they are placed. Well that was then just been back there and they had resumed their position on the left but not as jumbled up.

Secondly, Mozilla is currently my client of choice. /home/your_username/.kde/share/apps/kab is there. However, I do not use Kmail as the address book does not wish to accept entries, it keeps saying something about it being used by another application when saving. Having said that, just tried the address book in the new user and it accepted the entry no problem.

Anne wrote:

Or maybe /~/.kde/share/apps/kabc ? I see that in my old install directory I have kab but in

the new install it is kabc.

I have both 'kab' with nothing in it and 'kabc' with one directory, /lock and one file std.vcf. [when I up-graded to 9.2 it was as an install not and upgrade]

There is a /usr/share/apps/kabc but no kab.

I was thinking [I know a dangerous pastime, especially for someone with very little knowledge on the subject under discussion :-) ] what would happen if I deleted 'kab' as just maybe 'kabc' is an updated directory for 'kab'. But then if there is nothing in it then it should not be upsetting the apple cart.

Or maybe even uninstall kmail and then reinstall??

David

--
***
  This email originates from a 100% Mandrake Linux OS computer.