John Richard Smith wrote:
Dick Gevers wrote:

On Fri, 02 Jan 2004 17:22:25 +0200, robin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote about
Re: [newbie] How to search text:

John Richard Smith wrote:

>How do you search a manual for specific references without having to
>eyeball the entire document.
>
>I'd like to scan man mencoder for references to AC3
>
>surely there must be some simple way of doing this

When you access a man page, as in: man anything

you can then type /foo and it will highlight all instances of `foo` and take
you to the first one.

Regards,
=Dick Gevers=

Thanks Richard and Dick,

That is neat.

One question though, in my example

man mencoder

then /AC3

it highlighted an instance,

but suppose there were more than one instance, how does it behave, I mean I suppose it goes to the first instance, and then waits for you to ask for the next , how do you do that ?

That's why I prefer to pipe through grep. But as someone pointed out, you can just type / and hit Return.

Sir Robin

--
"Certitude is possible for those who only own one encyclopedia."
- Robert Anton Wilson

Robin Turner
IDMYO
Bilkent Univeritesi