HI

I have a problem with my machine hanging.  It has been getting progressively
worse.  I am forced to do a hard reboot (I believe) as the keyboard does not
respond.  At one point in the reboot  I am prompted to perform a file system
integrity check.  I have up until recently been saying yes to this.  It
seemed like a good idea.  What I am finding however is that it is getting
increasingly hard to get past this point in the boot process - it hangs again
during the check.  This was not too bad at first as by the 3rd or 4th time it
generally passed and would boot OK.  Now I can't seem to get past the check -
after the 12th attempt I just skip the check, - but now I am hanging a great
deal more (6 times in the process of writing this email!).

What do I need to do in order to track down the cause of the problem?

I have lost some functionality (often used menu items for example, though
sometimes the executables are still OK and I can add the menu item again,
other times the program stops working), and the software installer is no
longer present in the Mandrake Control Centre after a message popped up while
using it that said it was not a valid executable....  ?!

It seems reasonable to me that corrupted files on the HDD could conceivably
cause this behaviour.  How do I check the drive for problems, or am I barking
up the wrong tree?  I noticed occasional reports of "spurious IRQ on 8259a -
IRQ 7" in the boot screens - relevant?

I am running 9.2 (Kernel 2.4.22-21) on an ASUS A7N8X Deluxe, 1024MB DDR  RAM,
AMD 2500, NVIDIA FX5200 256MB video and 120GB Western Digital SATA HDD.

--
Paul O'Rorke

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (school)
[EMAIL PROTECTED] (legacy/home)