On Tue, 6 Jan 2004 15:30:31 -0800
"Paul O'Rorke" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> What do I need to do in order to track down the cause of the problem?

Try adding 'acpi=off' and 'noapic' to the 'append' line in your /etc/lilo.conf,
run 'lilo' as root, then reboot.

> I have lost some functionality (often used menu items for example, though
> sometimes the executables are still OK and I can add the menu item again,
> other times the program stops working), and the software installer is no
> longer present in the Mandrake Control Centre after a message popped up while
> using it that said it was not a valid executable....  ?!

During the fsck, some executables may have been 'lost' (look for a dir
/home/lost+found), this has happened to me in the past (I once lost all GTK
libs, LOL! Try that for awhile...). Best bet is to uninstall them and reinstall
them.

'urpme rpmdrake'

Then reinstall:

'urpmi rpmdrake'

Any other missing executables, do the same thing:

'urpme <packagename>'

then

'urpmi <packagename>'

to bring it back.

> It seems reasonable to me that corrupted files on the HDD could conceivably
> cause this behaviour.  How do I check the drive for problems, or am I barking
> up the wrong tree?  I noticed occasional reports of "spurious IRQ on 8259a -
> IRQ 7" in the boot screens - relevant?

This may be related to the ACPI and APIC boot options mentioned above.
--
JoeHill ++ ICQ # 280779813
Registered Linux user #282046