I've been following the thread Merlin started about not being able
to ping between his boxes. I've not broken anything, but I still can't
ping. This is a single portable computer with Mandrake 9.1 host and
VMWare Workstation 3.2 guest win98se VM. Both agree that the guest is
192.168.72.128 and that the host is 192.168.72.1. But neither
can ping the other.

I'm only interested in sharing files between the two systems. I
am not interested in accessing the web with the win98se VM. This portable
computer is not connected to a real network. It has a real ethernet0
(vmnet0); VMWare created ethernet1 (vmnet1) and ethernet8 (vmnet8).

I don't know enough about networks, vmware, samba or linux to know
what of all the information I've gathered you need, so if you can
ask me questions, I'll be glad to give you what I have.

I do have one actually specific question: I reran vmware-config.pl
and it said to make certain that smb.conf contained a "socket
address" line which said my real IP address. I didn't see a "socket
address" line in the smb.conf to modify. However, testparm showed "socket
address" equal to "0.0.0.0" which is incorrect.

Can I add a line anywhere to smb.conf as follows?

socket address = 192.168.72.1

Well, okay, another specific question. After I modify smb.conf,
how do I get the changes to "take"? So far, I've had to restart my
computer. Is there an easier way?

Thanks,
deedee
--