On Thu, 2004-01-08 at 11:39, JoeHill wrote:
[Snip]
> One of the best ways to check for something choking resources, which is the #1
> cause of slowness, is to run 'top' in a term.
>
> If you want to see just what processes *you* are running, hit 'u' and type your
> username, and enter.
>
> Either way, look for something at the top of the list that is chewing up CPU
> time (likely) or memory (doubtful).
>
> KDE ain't the lightest desktop there is (LOL!) but it should run snappy on a
> system like yours.
Is it KDE then that is the problem?

I ran top, but didn't see anything chewing resources (memory or cpu).
My RAM usage is at 302244k (out of 515104k) and processor is at about
5%.  Processor usage does go up if I grab a window and move it around on
the desktop.

I do like top!  I've never used it before!

Travis Crook
Visions Beyond