----- Original Message -----
From: "Lee Wiggers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Thursday, January 08, 2004 11:06 PM
Subject: Re: [newbie] Internet Via Comcast

> On Thu, 8 Jan 2004 19:25:55 -0800
> "John S. Chalice" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > Hey there everybody..
> >
> > Thanks in advance for any help with this.  I searched the archive,
> > but couldn't quite find the answer to my query... but if anyone
> > can help me by merely pointing out the right entry, please feel
> > free.
> >
> > I just as of last night put Mandrake 9.2 onto my computer, and am
> > having a hard time getting internet to work.  Like many people out
> > there, I am connected to Comcast internet via a cable modem into a
> > motherboard with onboard ethernet.  This is, luckily, not my only
> > OS on this system, but.. I would like to get it working. :)  My
> > internet works just fine with Windows XP, but I am uncertain as to
> > how to make it work with Mandrake.  I know it has something to do
> > with DHCP, but I am still quite illiterate when it comes to linux,
> > and am uncertain as to what settings and information I need to put
> > in for it to work.
> >
> > Can anyone help me with this?  Again.. thanks in advance.
> >
> > -- John/crys
> >

> John
>
> Start with:  Configuration>Configure your computer>Network &
> Internet>Drakconnect>Configure internet access
>
> I have security set at "standard" (the next place to look) and
> drakconnect worked for me every time.
>
> Lee

Heya..

Yeah.. I've tried DrakConnect and went through the wizard, but I'm not sure
what fields to set how.  I have security at standard, as well.  I've played
around with the settings a bit, but I could only get the ethernet card to go
up (I think only if I put in the IP statically), but not Internet.  I could
only ping myself.. nobody else.

I know something's funky cuz of how Comcast does stuff with DHCP.. not
giving us computer names and all anymore.. but I'm not sure how to make the
internet work.

My Mobo is a Matsonic MS8174C Series..
with a VIA KT400/A chipset

Thanks again for any assistance.