On Saturday 10 January 2004 06:01 pm, Peter Simko wrote:

> The hda is working fine. It's the master on a dual-boot system and has
> the XP OS and most of my data on it. It shows up in BIOS during boot
> just fine. The hardware also seems to be detected in dmesg, but no
> drivers are available. And I just double checked the jumper and it's set
> to 'master', not cable select.

What I really think, now, is your /etc/fstab has no entries for a Linux
partition on /dev/hdaX.  If Linux boots, take a peek at fstab and see where
Windows is being mounted (should be hda1), and if you have any entries for
Linux filesystems on hda.  The first linux partition of hda should say
something similar to this example:
 /dev/hda5      /backup  reiserfs       noatime,rw,user,exec,auto   1 1
What the above line says is that a partition of type reiserfs, named /backup
exists at the location 5 on disk hda, and is mounted read and write, by any
user, at bootup.