On Monday 12 Jan 2004 2:10 am, James Cammarata wrote:
> I posted this earlier, didn't get any help on it so I'm posting it again.
>
>  I lost every device out of my /dev/sound folder due to some freak Mandrake
> snafu, so I have no sound in Gnome.  Can someone tell me how to reinstall
> the sound devices?  Having to reinstall Mandrake in order to fix this is
> not a solution I am interested in.  And no my sound is NOT muted.
> /dev/sound is empty.
>
>  My Specs:  Dell 400SC (brand new) running Mandrake 9.2.  Sound is the
> onboard AC'97.
>
>  Any help is appreciated.
>

> James Cammarata
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Install the alsa-utils , alsamixergui, and newt packages if not already
installed.

Make a backup copy of /etc/modules.conf
Run in a root terminal
alsaconf
That will set up your sound drivers and write a new copy of /etc/modules.conf

Copy back the lines from your old modules.conf which are not sound related
into your new modules.conf

You may need to run the alsamixergui to set sound levels.

derek

--
www.jennings.homelinux.net