At 04:01 AM 1/12/2004 +0000, you wrote:
On Monday 12 Jan 2004 2:10 am, James Cammarata wrote:
> I posted this earlier, didn't get any help on it so I'm posting it again.
>
>  I lost every device out of my /dev/sound folder due to some freak Mandrake
> snafu, so I have no sound in Gnome.  Can someone tell me how to reinstall
> the sound devices?  Having to reinstall Mandrake in order to fix this is
> not a solution I am interested in.  And no my sound is NOT muted.
> /dev/sound is empty.
>
>  My Specs:  Dell 400SC (brand new) running Mandrake 9.2.  Sound is the
> onboard AC'97.
>
>  Any help is appreciated.
>

> James Cammarata
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Install the alsa-utils , alsamixergui, and newt packages if not already
installed.

Make a backup copy of /etc/modules.conf
Run in a root terminal
alsaconf
That will set up your sound drivers and write a new copy of /etc/modules.conf

Copy back the lines from your old modules.conf which are not sound related
into your new modules.conf

You may need to run the alsamixergui to set sound levels.

derek

You sir, are a gentleman and a scholar ;)

Thanks for the help.

James Cammarata
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
www.sngx.net