On Tuesday 13 January 2004 08:05 am, Frank Bax wrote:

> How do I check that - I did not consciously install/configure firewall.

Frank, just to provide some background info, the cups daemon listens on port
631 for connections, both for admin and printing jobs.  If you are unable to
connect on that port, it would seem to suggest that cups is either not
properly installed or not working.

If you check for the cupsd process and find it is missing, but the cups
packages are installed, then either cups is not set to start at boot, or
there is some error that is preventing it from starting.

One way to check on an error is to drop to command line, su to root and issue
the command:  /etc/init.d/cups start or service cups start.  You should get
some type of response back, either OK or Failed.  You can check the status by
issuing the command /etc/init.d/cups status  or service cups status .  If it
tells you that the process is dead but the subsys is locked, then you know
that there is an error when the script runs that is killing the process but
leaving the lock file in place.

Then we can start issuing commands in verbose mode and see what kind of errors
pop up.
--
Bryan Phinney
Software Test Engineer