On Saturday 17 January 2004 07:31 pm, marc resnick wrote:
> I found my kernel version, and used the patch that went with
> it. As I continued with the install, it kept saying that the
> patch had been previously installed. I overwrote, because acpi
> still didn't work on my computer. I continued to get failures
> also. When I finally finished, I had no /proc/acpi folder. Does
> anyone know what I should do?

    ACPI is enabled by default in the kernel. You never needed a
patch. Check your lilo.conf line and remove anything like
'acpi=off' or acpi=ht' from the kernel's append= line. Reboot. If
that didn't do it, you can try adding 'acpi=force' to the append
line as a last resort. BUT don't add it to lilo.conf just yet. At
the lilo splash screen, press <Esc> and type 'linux acpi=force'
(you may have to use one of the displayed kernel versions rather
than 'linux' if you've updated kernels)

acpi=  [HW,ACPI] Advanced Configuration and Power Interface
         force   Force ACPI on, even if blacklisted platform
         off     Disable ACPI
         ht      Limit ACPI to boot-time LAPIC enumeration for HT,
                        disabling the run-time AML interpreter.

   Are you sure your hardware is ACPI capable?  "It works in
Windoze" doesn't count.  If you get ACPI enabled,
check /var/log/dmesg to see how succesfully it was implemented.
I have ACPI enabled. If you want I can send you my dmesg file
offlist as an example.
--
      Tom Brinkman                 Corpus Christi, Texas