On Tuesday 20 January 2004 14:00, pjscott wrote:

> I havent tried that yet but I will.
> I have just installed everything I could find with dchp in it, and
> still its dead.
> When I shut it down just now to get back to my email I noticed that
> webmin was shut down, so I presume it is there.

You lost me, there, Philip.  I don't see the connection between webmin
and email?

> I did tryto configure it in expert mode.
> First I went into ipconfig and got my ip address and gateway and
> subnet mask.

With dhcp your isp is giving you a temporary ip address - like dynamic
ip in windows.  It sounds to me as though you are trying to set up a
static ip.

> Then typed in all the relevant numbers and its still dead.
> The profile thing and hostname what are these, and should they be
> filled in????????

There are a lot of unknowns, for me here, Philip, that I'll have to
leave to others to answer.  I don't use cable, and I don't have 9.2
yet, but my best guesses are:

As far as I know, the profile will be for where you need more than one
setup, so probably not.

Hostname - yes, that does matter for local networking, but I'm not
sure whether you need it for cable connectivity.  The form is
machinename.yourdomainname.netOrComOrWhatever

Try looking at http://www.mandrakeuser.org/docs/mdoc/user/draknet.html
which gives you an idea what is expected for each field.  You are
trying to setup the Internet connection only, not the lan connection.
In some versions of Mandrake it has been necessary to click the
Expert button to do this.

> Is there anyone out there who know how to set it up manually.
> Still no sound either but I would rather get my internet connection
> working first.

Sensible.  There are lots of cable users on the list, so I'm sure
someone will be able to help.  At the moment you are not able to ask
specific enough questions.  Hopefully if you read the documentation
at MandrakeUser you will know just what to ask.  HTH

Anne
--
Registered Linux User No.293302