On Friday 23 January 2004 13:36, Merlin Zener wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-01-23 at 19:26, Bryan Phinney wrote:
> > [...snip]
> > Once you get the local net connections up and running, you should
> > be able to activate the modem connection by loading the drivers.
>
> How, then, am I connecting to the net now, without any need to load
> drivers? All I do is click on the link I put on my desktop which
> starts KPPP.

<snip>

> I don't see anything to do with the modem in there; the modem is an
> Aztech 56K external modem. I don't see any model numbers on it...

Merlin, the earlier posts on this thread are among the ones I missed,
so I don't know what your original question was.  I have an Aztech
56k external modem.  It's not normally connected, as I now have adsl,
but it used to be, and it worked without any extra work with both 9.0
and 9.1.  The default driver that Mandrake loaded without asking me
worked fine.

>  Then, you can let the router serve as DHCP and assign IP

Why do you need a router for that?  Are we talking of a lan using
connection sharing?  If so, is not your main linux box available to
be a dhcp server?

> > addresses to the machine that you hook up.  If you don't have
> > such a device, you are going to have to put some work into
> > configuring the network such that LAN traffic and Internet
> > traffic coexist peacefully.
> >
> > > Here is what's in /etc/hosts atm:
> > > 127.0.0.1         localhost.localdomain localhost
> > > 192.168.0.20              localhost.localdomain localhost

I presume that 192.168.0.20 is your linux box?  That should be
something like
merlin.yourworkgroupname merlin

BTW, Mandrake documentation recommends that you always set your lan
workgroup name to a fqdn, such as merlinslan.net - many tools work
better if you do that, and any windows boxes can do the same without
problems.

> I just tried to change it - I right-clicked and opened it with
> Kedit, made the change, but then I couldn't save it. It says
> "unable to write to file". Do I have to use some special program to
> edit this file? And:
> should I have separate entries for both machines? For example:
> 127.0.0.1             localhost.localdomain localhost
> 192.168.0.20            desktop
> 192.168.0.10            laptop
> Would that work?

Nearly - you need the full machine name first, then the alias (desktop
or laptop)

I hope this is not all useless because I'm wrongly guessing what has
gone before.

Anne
--
Registered Linux User No.293302