On Saturday 24 January 2004 07:07 pm, Josh Peters wrote:
> Hi Everyone.
> I'm installing mandrake 9.2 on an ibm pentium 2, 450, 256 ram.
> It wouldn't boot from the cd, so I made a floppy.  I got a little further,
> this error message:
> syslinux 1.67 mandrake linux boot failed
> I've tried using both disk 1 and 2 to boot from.
> Anyone have any other tips?
> BTW, I am very much a linux virgin, please excuse my idiocy.
> Josh

If you have the space on your hard drive, you might consider making a
partition and copying the 3 install disks to that, then make a hd install
floppy, boot with that and install from there.  That's the way I prefer to
install, now, because I never have to put the disks in the cd drive again.
You can only install with disk 1 in the drive, if you use the boot-from-cd or
boot from floppy, install from cd method.  And, it sounds as though your boot
floppy may be faulty, because if an install fails, it will usually fail at
the copying files from cd-rom stage--not at the floppy boot stage.  Did you
use the DOS utility on the first disk to make it?  If the install fails at
the part where the cd is accessed, it could be a faulty cd (also indicated by
boot failure when the bios is set to boot from CD).  Did you do an MD5
checksum on it?  If the vid card uses shared memory, you may need to pass a
Mem=xxx option.
See, without more info, there could be a lot of different problems, any one of
which can be a show stopper, none of which are insurmountable.  Give us more
info, and we'll try to help you get installed.  This OS is waaaaay better
than Windows, and your system should run 9.2 just fine.