On Wed, 27 Oct 1999, you wrote:
> Ok, I got Delux Mandrake 6.5, ran partition magic and found 1.5 gig for a
> Linux drive on my C drive, shared with Winblows 98.  I installed Linux,
> rebooted, installed Boot Magic.  Upon rebooting again, all works well and I
> can get into either os.  Next I started trying things out in Linux.  I was
> able to mount my CD ROM, haven't tried my CDR drive yet, though according to
> a page I looked at last night it is supported (CRW1622 Memorex)  I have a
> Zoom 56k Dual Mode modem and haven't been able to get it going yet.  This is
> my target problem right now.  In the device window in kppp, I have 13
> choices, ttySx, ttylx, cuax, and dev/modem.  x is 0-3.  Winblows says my
> modem is on Com 3 (it is internal and unfortunately I don't know exactly
> what model it is.)  Based on this and the supplied manual, I thought ttyS2
> would be the monster, but it didn't work.  I've gotten 3 or 4 different
> error messages when testing the modem, but nothing that makes it work yet.
> I think I've got all the other settings in kppp worked out, but I won't know
> until I get the modem going.  If there is an archive for messages on this
> list, please point me to it and I'll try to find the answer to this and
> future questions there.  Any help is appreciated.  I'll get to my CDR later,
> unless someone wants to give me some pointers now...

Com3=ttyS4.
CDRW will need ide-scsi emulation in order to burn, but it should be
useable as a cdrom without that. Don't ask me how to enable the
ide-scsi emulation, as I don't have a CDR/CDRW and have never messed
with it. I think it's just a matter of loading a module and then
Your modem may be a "Software" modem, especially if it's PCI. Chances
are about 95% that it's a paperweight if it's PCI. In that case, you
have three options -- take it out and replace it with a 100% hardware
modem (usually ISA;) two, you can get a "Lin-Modem" which MAY work
with Windows as well; third, you can get an external modem, which is
guaranteed to work with Windows AND Linux, as it doesn't use
proprietary software to emulate missing hardware. The easy way to
tell if it's a "Windows Modem" is to boot to dos mode, and type
"atdt5551212 > com3" and see what happens (minus quotes of course.)
If it comes back and gives you an error, you can almost bet it's a
windows modem!