On Sunday 25 January 2004 01:48 pm, John Richard Smith wrote:
> >    You're in the directory the binary is in. You need to run
> >'./mprime -m'    And run it as user, not root. The first time
> >it'll ask you if you want to connect to the mprime server, say
> > n, it won't ask again, and the menu will be displayed, choose
> > 17.
>
> So how can I run it as root ?

   You can su to root in a teminal. I just tellin you, you don't
need to be root, and IMO, I wouldn't run mprime as root. Actually
any programs that don't need root, should be run as user. Always.

 mprime2212 $ ./mprime -m
             Main Menu

         1.  Test/Primenet
         2.  Test/User Information
         3.  Test/Vacation or Holiday
         4.  Test/Status
         5.  Test/Continue
         6.  Test/Exit
         7.  Advanced/Test
         8.  Advanced/Time
         9.  Advanced/P-1
        10.  Advanced/ECM
        11.  Advanced/Priority
        12.  Advanced/Manual Communication
        13.  Advanced/Unreserve Exponent
        14.  Advanced/Quit Gimps
        15.  Options/CPU
        16.  Options/Preferences
        17.  Options/Torture Test
        18.  Options/Benchmark
        19.  Help/About
        20.  Help/About PrimeNet Server
 Your choice:
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 Your choice: 17

 Beginning a continuous self-test to check your computer.
 Please read stress.txt.  Hit ^C to end this test.
 Test 1, 400 Lucas-Lehmer iterations of M19922945 using 1024K FFT
 length.
 Test 2, 400 Lucas-Lehmer iterations of M19922943 using 1024K FFT
 length.

       ...and so on.  You can just quit the console it's runnin
in. If you use their suggestion, <Ctrl+C>, then you'll be taken
back to the menu and need to choose 6 to exit, or another choice.

     Let mprime run over night, it uses progressively tougher
tests, but none will harm hardware, and the program aborts itself
anyhow on hardware errors.  You can run it while using your
computer, but since mprime is "nice'd" it will defer to any other
processes. So for best results, let it go overnite while you're
not using your system. IE, quit or pause other running programs
(no need to stop normal background processes that cron runs).

    Now FWIW, mprime is a precompiled binary. Normally I avoid
running other peoples binaries on my system, But IMO mprime is
trustworthy...... if run as _user_ ;)  Also, IMO, it's suitable
for ready mades and laptops. Particularly since it self aborts on
hardware errors in oc'd, weak, or marginal systems. No need to
monitor temps. It definitely should be run overnite before
attempting cpuburn.
--
      Tom Brinkman                 Corpus Christi, Texas