On Monday 26 January 2004 09:31 pm, Terence Golightly wrote:
> >   cdrecord -v -eject speed=?? dev=?,?,? -dao <iso file>
>
> Tom and John,
>
> I like to use a gui myself thats why my original post mentioned
> gcombust. So just unchecking the -padding -swab audio and
> -ignore size keeping -dao should allow me to burn a bootable
> cdrom.  Does this mean that I don't have to check eltorrito
> selection and specify a boot image and catalog file (whatever
> that is) on the options tab of gcombust?

   I haven't used a GUI in so long I can't comment. As far as El
Torito (floppy boot img), catalog goes, they're in the bootable
iso already, no need to create or add them.  -dao (Disk At Once)
is needed because it exactly records the iso to CDr, and
preserves the md5sum. A must for being postive you've got a good
bootable CDr.

    Cut'n paste this into the bottom of /etc/bashrc (as root),
you'll have it from then on, all cdwriter users.

alias biso='cdrecord -v -eject driveropts=burnfree speed=16
dev=1,0,0 -dao'

    You can remove driveropts=burnfree if you want, change the
speed=, and make sure of your dev=       then....

    Open a console as user, type 'biso <name_of.iso>'
     (w/o the 's and <'s)

   (type 'nam' and hit <Tab> to auto complete) and you'll be
burning a perfectly good bootable CDr, before most GUI's will
even appear on your screen, much less get configured and ready to
go. With Mandrake iso's, which include CD1, CD2, CD3 in the name,
after you burn the first CD, use the <Arrow up> to bring up the
CL again, change the 1 to a 2 and burn the second CD. So on for
the third. You'll have all three CD's burned before Gcombust gets
done with the first one.  And you'll know what you did, rather
than guessing at what a GUI might'a done ;)

    One further caution, 'run -checkdrive dev=?,?,?' and look at
the output at the bottom. You _must_ see SAO in the Supported
modes: line (SAO, Session At Once is -dao).

    If your burner can't do 700MB or doesn't support SAO, you
really should get a better drive.  The deficient ones that can't,
are like havin a Betamax, when all the stores only carry VHS.
--
      Tom Brinkman                 Corpus Christi, Texas