Gregg Carrier wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Can anyone tell me definitively whether I can install Linux to a primary
> slave with the /boot partition at the beginning of said slave drive?

Yes, it will be just fine there.  I've did that for years prior to
giving up Windows.

> distribution: Linux-Mandrake 6.1 Power Pack
> CPU: Pentium 2 266mhz
> RAM: 128 meg
> Master HD: 4gig Windows partition
> Primary Slave: 20gig (this is where I want Linux)
> no scsi stuff, although in Windows 'My Computer' shows Iomega Zip drive as a
> scsi device (?). It's plugged into my printer port, though.
> general generic hardware, 2 meg video card, normal soundcard

Nice normal hardware.

> What happens: I boot from the L-M 6.1 install disk. I accept the default
> packages to install. Under Disk Druid, I partition the primary slave hard
> drive into (listed in order I make them in Disk Druid):
> /boot 10meg
> swap 120meg
> / 4gig
>
> It tells me a log of my install will be at .. and then a screen comes up
> saying it's making my filesystem. Then, nothing. It seems to just hang up. I
> can switch to the debugging screens with alt F5, alt F4, and alt F3. F4
> shows a big list of numbers separated by commas. It is unchanging for as
> long as I've waited, which is at least 20 minutes. The last few lines of Alt
> F3 are as follows:
> Detected non SMP capable motherboard
> running /usr/bin/mke2fs mke2fs /tmp/hdb6 -c
>
> The last line of the Alt F4 screen is :
> Adding Swap: 128484k swap-space (priority -1)
>
> So, if anyone has any ideas as to why this install would hang, I'd really
> appreciate your help. Thanks in advance.
>
> Gregg

What is the absolute LAST line on Alt-F5?  It should be something about
"accounting information".  If it is, wait it out.  It will write "done"
when it's done writing the final information to the partition.

I take it hdb6 is the 4G partition?  What are you doing with the rest of
the 20G?

I agree that 20 minutes is an awful long time.

--
Steve Philp
Network Administrator