I am a very newbie to Linux and this whole different world. I installed 9.2
a week or so ago and finally figured out how to get all the updates. I'm
using the GUI by the way. The process was successful and now if I check
there are no more updates so I think things went OK.

Two questions:

1) How do I check to see what fixes have been installed?

2) When updates are installed is there another step necessary to build a new
Kernel or does that happen automagically or do I not understand the process?
(which is quite likely)

The reason for this second question is I have a concern,that was also
mentioned in another post, about booting from a kew kernel and not being
able to fall back to the working one should something happen.