On Thu, 29 Jan 2004 20:24:41 -0600
"Hoyt Bailey" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> problems(that is some update list).  The contrib and update servers
> both failed to read the synthesis file so they errored out and didnt
> complete.

Well, it's not the changes, it's all the packages and their dependencies
that's in 9.2 main. Seems about right, though.

> I have a few questions:

> 1.  Can I just re-do the contrib and update servers without worring
> about main and does it matter in what order they are done?

Sure. You can say urppmi.update -a, which gets everything (but once you
get main, you don't really need to update again), or urpmi.update
contrib and/or update. You really should have an update branch defined.

> 2.   Are there other servers that have this information?

Yes. You might have selected the first ones available. If one doesn't
work, like it errors out doing the synthesis and so forth, the biggest
reason is that it could not connect to the mirror. It took me a bit of
time to realize that, because it's not really clear (it does not say
"server full" like FTP does). If you want to verify, try an ftp in
another window to the update site and see if you can connect. Sometimes
you can't. For instance, I usually use uninett.no and sunet.se. Those
have worked pretty well for me over the past year or so. Some of the US
mirrors are really slow, FWIW.

If you have trouble with a specific mirror, my advice would be to
urpmi.removemedia on whatever branch that mirror carries, and then run
urpmi.addmedia, using a different mirror.

Since you're upgrading to 9.2, most of this stuff is pretty stable (as
rpm versions don't change, i.e., the changes are going in cooker).

Once you have downloaded the hdlist and synthesis files for each branch
successfully, now comes the interesting part = updating, that is.
urpmi.update --auto-select takes care of that nicely, or should.
Depending on what you're upgrading from, you could expect anywhere from
300-600 megs worth of changed files (also depending on how much you
installed from the previous version).

> 3.   I dont speak mandrake yet what is the meaning of hdlist and
> synthesis, I know what list means and understand synthesis,  I dont
> think they mean what I understand.

hdlist is (as I understand it) the list of files that are on the CDs in
a compressed form, or actually all 3 cds if you're coming from a urpmi
site. IOW the names of all rpms in the distribution. The synthesis
contains, I think,the interdependencies. Which would make sense, as both
comprise a database of sorts that describes Mandrake 9.2 (in this
instance) and the system is resolving your database (in /var) with its
data.

> 4.   A minor problem.  The applets for KPPP in KDE or Gnome dont work
> they

I'll pass on that one since I have DSL, haven't modemed in over 3 years
:).