On Thu, 28 Oct 1999, you wrote:

> John,
>
> Even if yoy create the partitions in DOS, restart in DOS, remove the partitions
> for Linux, restart in DOS, Install Win, restart with Linux installer and create
> the partitions again with disk druid, DOS will still see the Linux partitions,
> and try to "fix" them? Hmmm... I didn't know that. I never tried it before for
> Linux, but it sounded right. I just thought that when the partitions were
> removed in DOS, they would just be empty space on the disk, or extended
> partition. Then you could do anything you wanted to with the space. Guess
> I gave the Redmond boys too much credit this time. Thanks for seting me
> straight.

Ok...the way YOU say it, it *should* work....What I meant
was if you partition your hard drive and leave partitions
for Linux and then reinstall Windows, from what I've read
in here, Windows will try and "fix" the empty partitions.
OTOH, if you just leave empty, non-partitioned space, it
should work just fine, as Linux will see it as available
space to install to. You'll just have to partition it with
Linux first.... and at least under Mandrake 6.0,  you could
choose FDISK or Disk Druid to partition your hard drive.
        John