On Sunday 08 February 2004 11:53 am, Trey Sizemore wrote:
> I have a new motherboard with an onboard VIA VT8233 sound card.  I have
> installed MDK 10 beta 2.  Looks great, runs fast, but no sound.  I have
> run alsamixer to ensure volumes are up (although I didn't see a 'master'
> volume category.).  I've also looked at kmix to see if the volume levels
> are right there, and that it is not muted.  The MCC Hardware section
> shows the card, and it's using the snd-via82xx driver.
>
> Not sure what else to check (the speakers are plugged in and this is a
> dual-boot machine currently with Win2000 where I can get sound).  Hoping
> that someone else had similar onboard sound and could point me in the
> right direction.
>
> Thanks.

Trey:
I have one of those critters, and while I was finally able to get some sound
out of it, it was at a very low volume level. I finally took the coward's way
out and installed an old Creative card. If you're not as lazy as I am, this
old posting from Derek Jennings that may be of help to you:

> From: Derek Jennings <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: Re: [newbie] no sound with mandrake 9.1
> Date: Sat, 20 Sep 2003 21:47:31 +0100
>
> > On Saturday 20 Sep 2003 7:31 pm, MACY, NIALLEN C wrote:
> > I am getting no sound with my VT8233 [AC97 Adio Controller] sound card.  i
> > have run the config tool and sometimes i get sound and others i dont.  I
> > just went to the via tech website and downloaded those drivers and it
still
> > doesnt work.  does anyone have any ideas on what i should do?
>
> I have that sound card.
> Try setting your /etc/modules.conf like this:-
>
> # ALSA portion
> alias char-major-116 snd
> alias snd-card-0 snd-via82xx
> # module options should go here
> # OSS/Free portion
> alias char-major-14 soundcore
> alias sound-slot-0 snd-0
> # card #1
> alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
> alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
> alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
> alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss
> alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss
> below snd-via82xx snd-pcm-oss snd-mixer-oss snd-seq-oss snd-pcm-oss
>
> There is lots of good info at
>
> http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc/
>
> derek

-- cmg