frankieh wrote:
Sure, its fine as a server...

It has a fine record as a server.. I've been using it for mail/dns/file/web etc servers for myself and a number of my clients for many years.. in fact it has some handy server oriented aspects..
for one thing, chroot postfix for the mail.
advx apache makes a pretty good choice as a web server...
samba3 has proven very good for file servers..
For DNS I am currently trialing PowerDNS from the mandrake 9.2 contribs.. it runs from mysql.

I have never had one of the servers crash on me, most have uptimes over 100 days..

As for security.. well you can do a minimium install, just the stuff you need.. then use the security settings mcc to choose what you want open/blocked.. then I install gSheild as a second layer firewall. (behind hardware firewall usually)

I've nothing bad to say about mandrake as a server.. I've been very happy...

Last time I looked, our university's mail servers were still running Mandrake 7.2!

Mandrake is pretty solid on the server front, largely because if you want to run a server, it really doesn't matter which distro you use. Apache, FTP, SSH or telnet servers are the same whatever system you run them on (except for that other operating system, of course).

Sir Robin

--
"Telling disgruntled employees that they are always free to leave their jobs seems no different in principle from telling political dissidents that they are free to emigrate."
- Stephen Newman

Robin Turner
IDMYO
Bilkent Univeritesi