On February 13, 2004 06:51 am, Harold E Vine III wrote:
> I'm downloading 9.2
>
> I've become astranged from rh/fedora core.
>
> I'm planning to install this weekend, and I'm wondering if y'all
> could provide a couple links to read that would make the install go
> smoothly.
>
> I have a 2.3gig emachine, 1st drive is 80gig, second(for linux)is an
> 8 gig, I run xp on drive one, both ide drives.
> 512 meg-o-ram, dvd, cd burner.
>
> I'm not a newbie to linux, just this distro. I've tried others, but I
> have found the "right one".
>
> I'm hoping mandrake is for me!
>
> thank you for you thoughts, in advance.
>
> harold

Harold; First of all. Welcome to the list and to Mandrake-Linux ! I
think you're going to find that you'll enjoy your "stay" ! Having a
look at your hardware, I'd say it'll do OK. Grin! In other words,
Mandrake should run very nicely on it!

With regards to the install, I don't think you have much to worry about.
If the 8 GB drive is in good shape. When you start the install, make
sure that your BIOS is set to boot from your CD or DVD drive, and
reboot the system with CD #1 in place -you probably knew that already,
but I'm covering all the bases here.

When you see the boot option screen, press enter. For the most part, the
hard work is over at that point. <g>. Since you've had experience with
Hed Rat, you shouldn't have any problems. In fact, you'll probably find
this install easier.

Since it seems that you'll be using the system as a workstation, I
suggest that you set up the 8Gb drive in 3 partitions - "/" (root),
"swap", and "/home" with "/" getting about 4.5 Gb's. Set up your Swap
partition so that it is equal in size to the amount of your ram, and
"/home" can have whatever space is left over.

You didn't mention your video card, so I can't help you there, but even
if it's on the bleeding edge, mandrake should at least be able to give
it a default configuration. If your video is onboard, it probably
shares some of the conventional ram you have installed. I suggest
setting the video ram to 64MB's if possible, but that's based on you
having 256MB's of ram at least!

The first panel that you see which allows you to check boxes for the
types of programs you want to install has some extra functionality as
well. At the bottom, you'll see a checkbox labelled "Individual Package
Selection". If you desire additional choices in selecting your
preferred software, check that box, and click the "Next" button. Once
in the new panel, you'll see a better list of packages which can be
opened up to provide a better list of selctions.

For a complete list of all the packages on your 3 CD set, you'll find 4
icons at the bottom of this panel. The third one will switch you to a
comprehensive list of every package on the CD's, and youcanswitch back
and forth by clicking that icon again. The fourth icon allows you to
save your selection of packages to a floppy disk, and also to load a
previously saved list of packages from a floppy diskette, should you
ever need to re-install. That option alone will save you a lot of time
for future installs, so keep it in mind.

You can find more information here: http://twiki.mdklinuxfaq.org which
should also help with the install. Hope that helps. Enjoy and Welcome!

Lanman

--
Registered Linux user #190712

"Smart IT people are staring out