-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of Anne Wilson
Sent: 14 February 2004 13:55
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [newbie] Solved: No sound with onboard VIA VT8233 sound
card

On Saturday 14 February 2004 13:20, Philip J Scott wrote:
> Well I have run alsaconf, I have also followed advice on mixer
> settings. Everything checks out.
> The one thing thats not been tried is the oss But as a novicxe i do
> not know what this is, I assume it is alternative drivers. I
> followed the link to the alsa project but when I am there it is too
> confusing and I dont know what i am supposed to be looking for and
> even if I did I dont know how to install anything not got that far
> yet.
> I did get a mail advising me to change the /etc/modules.conf
> but how and where I havent a clue. To anyone out there who can help
> this is my last hurdle if I can get my sound working I can use
> linux and start to learn. It is only sound in  normal things I have
> glorious sound with the cd player the rest is dead.
> Thanks in advance...Philip

Philip, open up Mandrake Control Center > Hardware and HardDrake.
Find your soundcard, and tell us what it says about it.  It should
also tell you which driver it is using.  The Run Config Tool should
give you something similar to the attached jpg.  The Troubleshooting
button gives you tests that you can run from a root console.  If
there are alternative drivers they will be in the drop-down list.
Run those tests, and give us the results.

Anne
--
Registered Linux User No.293302

Hve done all that I think, the sound card is onboard via vt8233 and the
driver in use is
snd-via82xx
but the other people who have solved the same problem have done it via the
alsa project with oss drivers but I do not know what to do.