Anne Wilson wrote:

On Saturday 14 February 2004 17:18, John Richard Smith wrote:

I shouldn't come in here because I haven't been following this
thread, but my via 8233 sound chip works on my MSI mobo and the
modules.conf looks like this.
above snd-via82xx snd-pcm-oss
alias sound-slot-0 snd-via82xx

if that's any help.

John - my prayers are answered - I must had done something right at last <g>. Can you try to talk Philip through this? He's been pretty persistant. It's time he got some reward.

Anne

Well, I haven't had to do much since M8.2 to get sound to work with via8233 chip.
I'm a bit rusty myself as to what I did back in the early days to fiddle with things.

What /etc/modules.conf script does Philip have,
in a terminal,
cat /etc/modules.conf,
and report.
is it the same as above(M9.1)
if not # out your two lines and try mine.
reboot.

also, lets see what draksound says, see snapscreen376.png, what does philip's look like.

also what mobo is the chip on?

Have he  got both kmix and aumix sliders turned up
always asuming he's got kde and gnome installed.

also ,
In kde CC - sound system,
I have aRts enabled at startup.
I | X | sound server enabled.