Sunday 15 February 2004 8:16 am, aronsmith wrote:

> > Apparently the KDE packages have been "rearranged"  - I suggest you try
> > rpmdrake via mcc, search for anything with kde in the name - I think you
> > need kdebase, plus (probably lots of!) dependencies - with any luck,
> > Kmail will work once you've got KDE.
>
> It dosn't shoe         -Anything_ (nothing at all ) in MCC install
> software and shows Nothing in bugfix upgrade or security fix

Aron kmail is now called kdepim-kmail. The address book and quite a few of the
other packages that were once a large bundle called kdenetwork are broken up
even further than they were for 9.2. More along the lines of functional
groupings currently, for example kdepim is an acronym for kde personal
information management. And so on. Below is a (partial) list of the KDE apps
I have installed, everything works.

k3b
karchiver
kdeaddons
kdeaddons-noatun
kdeadmin
kdeartwork
kdebase-common
kdebase-kate
kdebase-kdm
kdebase-kdm-config-file
kdebase-kmenuedit
kdebase-konsole
kdebase-nsplugins
kdebase-progs
kdebase-servicemenu
kdegames
kdegraphics-common
(a large sub group that should still be part of a package "bundle")
kdelibs-common
(sub groups and pkgs available)
kdemultimedia
kdenetwork-common
(sub groups again, go through the list)
kdepim-common
(sub and so on again)
kdetoys
kdeutils-common
(sub etc)

You say you have upgraded, what method? Have you defined software source
repositories for cooker? I suggest main and contrib at least, maybe PLF too
depending on what you had installed for the previous version. Remove all the
old media for 9.2 or whatever. Conflicts. I'd use the Easy URPMI site:

http://urpmi.org/easyurpmi/index.php

and in this particular instance I _would_ remove the disks if you have the
bandwidth since the disks you installed from are so out of date as to be not
worth much. The latest ATM is beta2 and RC1 is going to arrive shortly. Even
that will be slightly out of date when most people get it.

After you've defined sources for cooker mirrors issue the commands:

urpmi.update -a [Enter]

urpmi --auto-select [Enter]

You could add a further --auto flag to that last one but I have a feeling
that, like me, you always want to know what will be installed before
installation starts. Am I correct?

Finally; Mandrake Update won't work on a cooker install for the simple reason
cooker is a moving target even during a freeze leading to a new release. Bug
squashing means the packages will be updated daily in some cases. In other
words update is happening in the actual release tree (cooker and contrib)
rather than the tree being static and updates happening separately.

HTH

Regards;
Charlie
- --
Edmonton,AB,Canada User #244963 at http://counter.li.org
Mandrake Linux release 10.0 (RC1) for i586 kernel 2.4.25-0.pre7.3mdk
Cleanliness becomes more important when godliness is unlikely.
                -- P.J. O'Rourke