On Friday 20 February 2004 01:04 pm, Lee B. wrote:
> Trying to get my APC UPS working, but discovered that the USB isn't
> working!
>
> Mandrake 9.2, clean install, not an upgrade
> Motherboard: Asus P3V4X (P-III 600mhz) 256mb
> USB enabled in bios (w/Legacy support set to "Auto")
>
> HardDrake shows the USB controller as a VIA VT82C586B
>
> USBView won't display anything. It says: "Can not open
> /proc/bus/usb/devices. Verify you have USB compiled into your kernel,
> have the USB core modules loaded, and have the usbdevfs filesystem
> mounted."
>
> Where should I start in solving this?

You should see the usb module loading during the boot process.  If not, you
can try an       root#insmod usb-ohci     (I think that board uses the ohci
module, not the uhci)
.
 The relevant line in /etc/modules.conf is this one:

probeall usb-interface usb-ohci

Happened to me once, on 8.2 I think it was.