----- Original Message -----
From: "Marc Resnick" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Friday, February 20, 2004 10:06 PM
Subject: [newbie] Several problems with new kernel boot

> I'll start from the beginning:
>
> I booted from Lilo. The progress meter quickly filled...then...went off
the
> screen...and back on the other side. That was weird... So I rebooted,
pressed
> esc, and booted in text mode. Since I shut down improperly, and hda5
wasn't
> unmounted right, it had to check whatever it checks. So it takes an
unusually
> long time. Then it goes to boot. I see many many things I've never seen
> before, and it asks me if I want to run a config tool, because sdc0(my
cd-rom
> drive/burner) was removed and hdc was added. I don't know what that was
> about. Then something didn't load...something with 'char' in it. Then
> something was 'passed'. It was 'fs', and said something about not
recognizing
> NTFS. Then, my wlan0 device didn't load, and neither did my sound.
>
> So then I proceeded to login. Apparently /home was read-only. So I logged
into
> root, and looked in /home. And /home/marc is gone. My sound doesn't work,
as
> was expected, and neither did my wlan connection. So i rebooted, and
booted
> the old kernel. Everything worked fine, and my /home/marc was there.
>
> This could have been a nerdy horror movie. =/
>
> Okay so here's what I figure: My snd-ali5451 module isn't loading
properly,
> and neither is my prism2_cs. I don't know why, because I did a make
> oldconfig, and enabled mostly everything. I guess that has something to do
> with the cd-rom drive too. I have no clue what was up with the original
> graphic boot, nor do I know why my /home/marc directory was gone, then
back.

> Any advice would be greatly appreciated
>
> --Marc

I looked into the module thing. There are no modules in
/lib/modules/2.4.25/kernel. None. Why, I don't know...but there aren't any.
So I moved my old modules from 2.4.22 over, to see if it would work. So far,
it hasn't(don't worry I made a backup of my old kernel folder). Yes, I did
make modules, and make modules_install. Then I did make all just for the
hell of it.  Still no modules. The modules loaded fine for 2.6.3, but I
can't get that kernel to boot.

I would really really like some help, as I've been trying to do this for a
long time, because I need acpi for my laptop.

----