Greg Meyer wrote:

I just made a huge improvement to the look of the fonts on my screen by making a small change to one of the XFree86 config files. This will probably help you if you ever noticed when switching from say a 9 point to a 10 point font there is no change in how the font is rendered on screen, or if one particular size looks really bad.

In the file /etc/X11/Xresources, there is a section that looks like this near the end:

! Fix the Xft dpi to 96; this prevents tiny fonts
! or HUGE fonts depending on the screen size.
Xft.dpi: 90

I changed the 90 to the actual dpi of my moniter, which is a 125 dpi flatpanel and my fonts look a lot nicer.

You can get the actual dpi of your monitor by using The Gimp, which has a monitor calibration utility in the monitor preferences. Go to File => Preferences and choose the monitor section. You will need a ruler to do the

OK, I followed you as far as here, see snapshot384.png.
so how does the ruler then come in ?

John

--
John Richard Smith