On Wed, Feb 25, 2004 at 07:41:25PM +0000, Anne Wilson wrote:

> On Wednesday 25 February 2004 14:09, Mike Adolf wrote:
> > Is there some trick to reading a CD written in Windose. I have a
> > Liteon DVD+/-R CD+/-RW.  I wrote it with SONIC's produce MyDEV, I
> > think!  I did the copy by drag & drop. Do some vender products
> > write CDs, linux can't read. I'm running MDK 9.1
> >
> > mike
>
> Mike - if you wrote them by drag&drop they are probably udf format,
> which isn't supported in the 2.4 kernels (or only partially).  You
> may have more luck with a 2.6 kernel - but changing to 2.6 isn't
> trivial.  I'd wait until you have a distro that uses 2.6 without you
> having to worry about libraries, etc..
>
> There is one more problem, though.  udf was not specified tightly
> enough, so different applications interpret it in different ways.  A
> udf cd from Roxio cannot be read by Nero, and vice versa.  I'm not
> sure, therefore, whether any of them will be readable by the new
> kernels.
>
> Anne

I had an awful time getting data from an old CD-RW I made with
EasyCoaster Creator a long while back. I believe I had to d/l the crap
software on a Windows machine (lucky I had access to one with a burner),
get the files onto the computer, then re-burn as a regular ISO. For me,
proof I was doing the right thing by getting out of all that proprietary
crap.

Todd