My guess is if you bought the POS in the first place you have the legal
right to use it as you see fit, and if it means a beta driver to get it
to work in Linux, then go for it. Better though not to buy the POS in
the first place.

OTOH, winmodems have about the same amount of electronics in them as
$cientology "emeters" and you probably need a license to operate the
latter ;(.

Hey, I think you are being a little harsh there. Sure not having connexant drivers is a real PITA, and they should definitely not be supported for that, but I have never had a problem with either of my two lucent-based winmodems. In fact, once I knew how and where to get things going I have had no probs at all. Somehow heaps better than in doze!!! My only question is why doesn't mdk package the ltmodem driver? It may not be gpl (not sure) but WGAF? mdk people are not FSF zealots and good on us! It isn't pay software, and would make life a lot easier if it was put on the mirrors (even maybe plf?) precompiled.
My opinion...
Cheers
Anton
-=-=-
... ...I would go so far as to suggest that, were it not for our ego and
concern to be different, the African apes would be included in our
family, the Hominidae.
- Richard Leakey