On Friday 27 February 2004 11:13 pm, Ray Hogaboom wrote:
> My flash card reader and external hard drive have not been
> unplugged.
>
> If external hard drives power switch is off and a flash memory card
> is in the reader I boot then turn hard drives power switch on. The
> two devices mount as they should.
>
> If I do not have a flash memory card is in the reader and the
> external hard drives power switch is on When I boot the computer.
> The external hard drive mount to /mnt/memory_card.

Well, this relates to how Linux handles usb devices since they can be either,
static devices that are always on, i.e. a usb mouse for instance, or hot-plug
devices that are only accessed when they are connected to a running machine.

When your device is on and you turn the computer on, it is treated as a static
device and mounted accordingly.  When the device is off and you turn the
computer on, it is not detected.  If you subsequently turn it on, the
computer treats it as a hot-plug device.  That is because the act of turning
the device on when it was not previously detected mimics the act of plugging
in a hot-plug device.

So, if you want the device to always be mounted to the same place, like a usb
mouse would be, you need to insure that it is always connected and on.  If
you want to be able to move the device away and then return it to the
computer while on, you need to insure that it is not on when you turn the
computer on, then it will always be treated as a hot-plug device.

You can change the mount point of the hot-plug device to something different,
you just need to specify that in the hot-plug scripts.
--
Bryan Phinney
Software Test Engineer