H.J.Bathoorn wrote:

On Saturday 28 February 2004 13:09, John Richard Smith wrote:

H.J.Bathoorn wrote

Of course you are right HarM.
However it's a little bit odd , the basic overall primary kooka window is quite detatched from all the other windows, when it suggests that they are part of the primary window. Never mind. Just odd that the primary window comes up suggesting there is much more to it when in fact the other aspects are all in quite seperate windows unrelated.

On first usage they were "attached" but afrter some fiddling they were and stayed "detached"....in true unix style:) Including a non-existant "back to before" option.I don't mind, I prefer it detached but I suppose deleting some .rc file somewhere and starting "fresh" again would prolly solve that.

Actually I think you are right, somehow it seems appropriate to have them all detatched. Really the main window could all be part of the "scanner window "anyway.

Anyway  be that as it may. I don't see any .pnm file types available in
kooka.I chose  BMP which, if my memory serves me correctly, is a windblows bitmap
format ?
It did make an OCR image in text file format, though I'm not sure what it does with
it. It doesn't seem to call it anything I can recognise as
such. I'll get the hang of it eventually.

You can "ocr" all graphic file formats but the higher the resolution the better the result.
Images from a scanner are saved as .pnm files so just scan using kooka and save the file in one of your galleries.

Importing .pnm files using "copy" or "move" with your favourite file browser works fine for me. Strangely enough it doesn't produce a proper thumbnail reflecting it's content but the imageviewer reproduces it fine and it ocr's fine too.

You'll get to like it eventually;)

The only think that I find is that actually kooka didn't appear to create any .pnm at all.
No option seemed available, unless I'm overlooking something else again.

But yes, I'll get used to it.

John

--
John Richard Smith