On Saturday 28 February 2004 11:34 am, Allen/gore/SlackWareWolf wrote:
>This was BEFORE mydoom so call the
> dogs of justice off me. It said their were a few virii that
> even though they could not infect the machine, they could
> be sent to people who did not run Linux or UNIX. Like they
> would sort of stay resident on the machine, but unless you
> had a virii scan you would not know....

Well, I have yet never heard of any virus that can manage to initiate actions
to replicate themselves without being made to execute on the target machine.
That would include any concepts of staying resident, etc.  So, either your
reading was alarmist, it was the product of an anti-virus vendor that should
probably be considered suspect, or it was incorrect.  I would be happy to
have anyone point me to any verifiable information that proves me wrong so
that I won't be mistaken about a real threat, but as of now, I have yet to
hear any reliable person suggest that a virus, worm, or trojan can replicate
in any fashion or even  be resident on a machine without being executed on
that machine.

This includes all past, and present virus variants.

> And of course myDoom wouldn't infect Linux, it was an
> anti-Sco virii ;)

I wouldn't propagate this type of SCO FUD even as a joke.  The SCO folks have
shown themselves to be universally clue resistant, thus they probably won't
get that it is a joke.  MyDoom was a pro-spammer virus, it was not anti-Sco
anything.  And, not to be pedantic, but the proper plural of computer virus
is viruses, not virii.
--
Bryan Phinney
Software Test Engineer