On Sat February 28 2004 10:52 am, Bryan Phinney wrote:
> On Saturday 28 February 2004 08:45 am, John Richard Smith wrote:
> > OK, but,
> > If you disconnect the reader entirely prior to boot,
> > You get lots of warning in boot script about failed device,
> > and when on desktop, you then hot plug it, the reader
> > shows up in the hub nicely but when you go to mount
> > it on either dektop icon, or CL, you get,
> >
> > mount /dev/sda1 is not a valid block device.
> >
> > so it's not really configured as a device to the system,
> > only a usb connection in the hub, if you see what I mean.
>
> My reply was in reference to the USB external hard drive and
> other such devices.  I have a card reader on my MOBO but don't
> use it.  This is because I would lose some additional USB ports
> to plug the device in, for one, second, my reading has convinced
> me that the card readers are flaky at best, downright
> dysfunctional at worst.  Card readers in Windows often require
> proprietary drivers to be loaded and those are probably not as
> forthcoming for Linux as for Windows.  Ultimately, I don't really
> need any such device, I have a Multifunction HP printer that has
> slots for memory cards, I can simply plug the memory into the
> printer and either print the pictures or transfer them over to
> the hard drive, with Linux.
>
> Since I don't have much experience hooking up smart card readers,
> I will have to defer answers about that to someone who has done
> it.

But MY USB Flash Card Reader has NEVER been unplugged from My
computer. There for It is ALWAYS plugged into the same socket. IT
DOES not have a power switch, there for IT is always on. There for
it should not make any difference, as to what I do with the hard
drive. The memory card reader should always be mounted to
/mnt/memory_card. There for the External USB Hard Drive Should
Always be MOUNTED to /mnt/removable.

May be I should start a new thread as my USB 2.0 compliant question
and this issue of where USB devices are mounted seam to be 2
different subjects.

--
Ray Hogaboom