On Mon, 15 Mar 2004 20:47:31 +1100
Trevor <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Joe, please help me.  Please please please.  Talk me through
> converting a DVD to VCD.  I just cannot figure it out.

Maybe others will comment too.

Basically it's a four step process - at least the way I do it, which may
not mean much, since I have only done it a few times, and have a little
difficulty getting the audio to synchronize right (it's like maybe a
second or two off).

You'll need a few tools like mjpegtools, vcdimager, mplayer. I use a
script (which I'll attach) to automate the first step of the conversion,
although it seems it could go all the way through to actually burning
the CDs.

Steps are as follows:

1) run script mencvcd to convert the DVD into two files (mpa & mpv) for
the DVD in question.

Command line might go something like this:

'mencvcd carter dvd://1 -sid 0 -aid 128 -ss 3:00 -frames 1500 \
        -noburn -vnorm n -vfr 1'

all on one line of course. Drop the --frames and -ss part since yuou
just want to do the entire movie, although you might as well do just a
short part in the beginning to make sure things work - doing the whole
movie takes several hours.

2) use mplex to multiplex the audio and video from these mpa and mpv
files. The result will be one or more files that contain the various
parts of the CD. Example

$ mplex america-1 america.mpv america.mpa

3) use vcdimager to turn the files from mplex into cue/bin files
suitable for burning directly (no filesystem / iso image?) to the CD.
(Use a CD-RW first ;).

4) burn