Tom Brinkman wrote:

On Saturday 13 March 2004 03:44 pm, Troy T. Hall wrote:

Tom Brinkman wrote:

On Saturday 13 March 2004 08:55 am, et wrote:

hey Tom, can you repost your "update_all" alias too?, I bet
some folks (me) could use that too...
Thanks
Ed

alias upall='rpm --rebuilddb && updatedb && update-menus -n
&& ldconfig'

.... also, after large updates, specially for KDE, Gnome,
libs, etc. It's helpful, often mandatory to log out of your
desktop, might as well also re-start X (Ctrl+Alt+BkSp), and
log back in.

where does this go?

At the end of a bashrc file. It then becomes a system command.
~/.bashrc for an individual user, /etc/bashrc to make the command global. I'd suggest global for a one user desktop, so that the command is available to both user and root. Of course some commands like 'upall' require root privledge, and if run as user will just return "Permission denied" or "Command not found". Be extra careful with 'root' privledged commands.

Google 'bash aliases' for the whole story.

I know tom just posted the other day the rest of this info and I tried to search the club knowledge base but when I put "[newbie] mdk10 urpmi problems" in even with "tom brinkman" in , it just returns a list of 2281 messages. What am I doing wrong. I lost the original replys that tom sent.

-- Troy T. Hall Registered Linux User #342150 Mandrake Club Member Abilene, KS.