On Wednesday 17 March 2004 10:50 pm, David E. Fox wrote:
> On Wed, 17 Mar 2004 09:13:34 -0600
>
> Tom Brinkman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >      I've been playin with it. Seems to work best with 128bit
> > streams, and hardly very well at all with streams below that.
>
> Tom, I'd be curious if you're getting any mp3lib errors towards
> the ends of songs. I think that's one of the reasons why when
> these songs are encoded & saved into each of their separate
> filenames I get snippets of the beginnings of songs.

     About 20 to 30% report mp3lib errors, but the mp3's seems
fine. Maybe it's the ones tha mp3_check shows bad frames for. I
didn't keep track.

> > So, I recorded about 700mb's of mp3's from 4 different 128
> > bit stations.  BadPuppy, Twang City, Kpig/Kfat, and an Oldies
> > station.
>
> For you and Aron:
>
> Boot Liquor: American roots music for Saddle-Weary Drunkards
> (somaFM)

     I'll check it out right now, Thanks
> :)
> :
> > play properly.  Still the sound quality is poor compared to
> > mp3's I can d/l _much_much_ more quickly from binary
> > newsgroups.
>
> I don't get this - you get the mp3 in faster than the time it
> takes to play it? That does make sense now that I think about
> it. If you're getting streams of 64kbps then getting the
> equivalent quality over DSL would have to be faster from a
> binary newsgroup - at least potentially, but I note my news:
> connection is nowhere near as fast as say ftp is. And a 64k rip
> is not all that good. I look particularly for 192kbps or higher
> in the binary newsgroups assuming I can find them.

     I ftp the mp3's from newsgroups at 160KB/s.  D/l three or
four songs in the time it takes one to play.  As you say, most
binaries on news groups are 192 bitrate.  'Sides, I cheat. I use
a paid service ... Giganews.  Large, complete selection an they
keep binaries for a month.

    While I think streamtuner is great, I don't have much use for
streamripper.  Not that there's anything wrong with it. I've yet
to find an mp3 in those I ripped that contains parts (beginning
or end) of other streamed mp3's.  I'm usin xmms-1.2.9-4mdk as the
default player an streamtuner-0.11.1-2mdk  streamripper-1.32-3mdk

--
      Tom Brinkman                 Corpus Christi, Texas
               Proud to be an American