On Saturday 20 March 2004 02:55 pm, Allen/Gore/SlackWareWolf wrote:
> My Mom has a gateway from about 4 years ago. It came with Windows 98. I
> have gotten Linux to run on it fine, but to share your grief....There is NO
> FAN on the processor...Which is a celeron...Nice huh? After 20 minutes of
> being on you can feel the warmth from it...The power supply has a fan, that
> blows RIGHT ON THE FUCKING HEAT SINK FOR THE PROCESSOR...So putting a fan
> in would be a bitch, because the extra air coming on the fan would probably
> screw with the air flow...And either way, the fan blows out warm air! I
> have been saying gateway is shit for years. Hmm, did you keep the other HD
> they sent? That would be fun.

    I also had a gateway some time ago,  I sold it to a friend about 3 years
ago. I think it was probably one of the last decent machines gateway made. It
had a full mid tower case that was made well. A real graphics card as well as
a creative labs soundblaster sound card. It even came with a floppy drive, It
seems like gateway quit installing those as standard equipment some time ago.
I have worked on computers for a lot of people around the area that I am in.
To the best of my knowledge I am the only person for at least 15 miles around
that builds or repairs computers so I have seen a lot of gates ways since I
first got mine and every one has been at the lower end of the quality
spectrum. I must have had one of the last reasonably good ones that they made
because I have had my fingers into many of them since then and every one has
had some shortcomings with quality but this BS with the one that I helped my
neighbor with this week is in my mind a whole new leval of crap for Gates
way.
    I have probably done over a hundred ML installations and have seen more
than a few problems along the way but this is the first machine where I have
seen something that screwed up.

    Marc

--
Composed on a 100% Microsoft and