Asa Rossoff wrote:
Anne Wilson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> exclaimed,

I haven't forgotten, Charlie.  As has happened once or twice before,
you got the backlash when I'm feeling fed up about people who know
very little about the os installing what is still, really, cooker,
then complaining.  Sorry.  You didn't deserve that.

Hi Anne.   I'm new to Mandrake, and new to Linux even... but my impression
from the Mandrake's announcement of the Community Edition's purpose was that
the C.E. could be expected to be _as reliable_ as the standard releases of
the past -- and the new final edition would be even _more reliable_.   So if
I had tried to install 10.0 without reading the posts of other users'
tribulations, I would have probably been surprised and dissapointed to find
it buggier than 9.2 was out of the box.

As it is, I didn't put myself through that :)  .. I'm still trying to get
9.2 running smoothly.

It's hard to judge on just one release, since there's always variation between releases anyway (9.1 was a PITA for me, as was 8.1 - if I were superstitious, I'd definitely give 10.1 a skip). For me, installing 10.0 was a doddle, but configuring it gave me more fun than anything since RedHat 6.0 (Oh, those happy days of hacking modelines!). Still, I'd say the Community Edition is for the established community, not for anyone trying out Linux for the first time.

Sir Robin

--
"Have you googled yet?"
"Willow, she's seventeen!" - Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Robin Turner
IDMYO
Bilkent Univeritesi
Ankara 06533