Marc wrote:

On Saturday 20 March 2004 05:27 pm, bascule wrote:

it would be interesting to know the results of putting the gateway hard
drive in a 'normal' machine and putting a 'normal' hard drive in the
gateway machine

bascule

Been there done that. I had to put the Gateway HDD in a different machine to format it with a windoze disk before the gateway would recognize it again. The other machine reconized it right away and actually booted right on to the Linux installation on the HDD that I had removed from the Gateway That was 2 different HDDs that worked fine in the gateway (1 Western Digital and 1 Maxtor) until I installed Linux after that the Gateway machine would not reconize eather of them until they were installed in an other machine and reformated using a winbloze disk. After reformating with a windoze disk the Gateway machine was again able to use them with no trouble at all. And as I said in the first bessage I had a old 500 MB HDD with windoze on it that the Gateway computer was able to recognize.
It seems to me like something has been done to the bios in the Gateway to make it NOT recognize any HDD with Linux installed on it. The MOBO was made by Intel but the Bios was customized with the Gateway logo so I really cant say Who is responsible for the bios problems intel or Gateway but due to the fact that Intel brand MOBOs are used in so many brands of computers if this was a Intel related problem I suspect that we all would have heard about it much sooner. As I said this machine is less than 3 months old so maybe as time passes we will hear more storys like this.
It seems like this almost had to be something done on purpose to the bios. If that Is the case I hope that the Linux community comes down on Gateway and, or Intel like a ton of bricks.

Marc

I had the same problem with a friend of mine who wanted to try Linux. I also had a spare harddrive that had linux already on it. We took his out and put mine in and it would start to boot and then just stall. Couldn't get into the BIOS at all. We put his old disk in and it was recongized just fine but had to reinstall windows. This is a 3 year old gateway. He tried to install linux on the original harddrive and all went well until reboot. Again we couldn't get into the bios. Now that I know what the problem is I can reformat his drive with partition majic and he can use the restore disk. Although it doesn't surprise me in the least, gateway and gates, both suck.