Dan Gordon wrote:

On Tue, 23 Mar 2004 10:00:18 +0000
John Richard Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I don't think it's that simple. The TCO symbol means the monitor
itself can do this, I know in theory the bios ought to shut it down
if you can set it as such not all bioses can.
I think windblows has some other piece of mechanism to work
with both the bios and the monitor to make this co-operate.
I cannot speak for M9.2 + M10 because I don't have them,
but up to M9.1 there just does not seem any way of turning the
sleep mode off. I just live with it, it doesn't affect the important
apps like mplayer etc, and since I like a blank black screen when
the computer is idle , to my mind that's OK. What did I do,
I set screensaver at 20 mins, and somehow I set blank black
monitor at 60 minutes ( although I like a blank black screen
I don't want it flicking into it all the damn time, it irritates)
but I cannot remember how I set the 60 minutes . Sorry
my memory fails me. But you have to have a blank black
screen after some time or other regardless. Cannot completely
turn it off, and as I say I came to the conclusion the monitor
itself is the thing that is doing it for you, not bios, I think
the monitor listens out for "events" and awakes itself
should the need arrise, and that maybe what happens if
you are running programmes in the background and
suddenly the users attention is called for so it wakes the
monitor up by listening out for this. I guess there is
a technical imput back and forth between the monitor
and the bus and the internet if that is on as well, I don't
really know that much about it all. However, does
not being able to turn off monitor sleep mode ,  matter ?

Hehehe you know it really does not matter, it just never did this before. I have been running 9.2 since it came out and always woke up to xscreensaver's pyro. since i reinstalled 9.2 last week was the first time i ever saw this behaviour. Anyhow it really does not matter i guess. Could this be "a ghost in the machine" ? naaawwww

Regards,
Dan Gordon

Well maybe there is a way then.

There is the setterm command,

try looking at settern --help, or man setterm
and see if any of those work ?
Just a possibility

John

--