-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of Tom Brinkman
Sent: Sunday, March 28, 2004 5:01 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [newbie] 10 CE Shutdown

On Sunday 28 March 2004 07:28 am, Margot wrote:
> Tom Brinkman wrote:
> >>
> >>Well, some success... I managed to download and install the
> >> new kernel (without getting cut off this time), and the
> >> shutdown now goes past the original hang point, but now it
> >> gets to this:
> >>
> >>md: md0 switched to read-only mode.
> >>Power down.
> >>
> >>...but it doesn't actually switch off!
> >>
> >>I assume that it is safe to just hit the power switch at this
> >>point, but is there some setting I could change so it will
> >>switch off automatically?
> >>
> >>Margot
> >
> >     No sooner did I post the link to Thomas' kernel, than he
> > released an updated version    2.6.4-1.tmb.4mdk
>
> Well, I've now experimented with several kernels, and the one
> which works best so far is 2.6.4-1.tmb.3mdk - machine still
> doesn't actually switch off, but everything else seems pretty
> stable.
>
> Perhaps now is the time to look at the acpi and apic settings
> that Tony suggested. I've seen these mentioned in other
> threads, but mainly relating to laptops. Mine's a desktop
> machine.

     I believe the general trend with 2.4.x kernels would be to
disable apic and/or acpi.  With 2.6.x and newer hardware, I
believe it'll be to make sure they're both enabled.  The only
exception to that I currently know of is nForce chipset systems
which don't handle them properly.  You've got a VIA chipset which
will.

> Are there any standard settings for acpi and apic for different
> types of machine, or is is just a question of trying various
> combinations until I find one that works?

     Yep, trial'n error

> I know that the settings appear in the append line in
> lilo.conf, but is this where I actually edit them, or is there
> another file for the settings which transfers the details into
> lilo.conf?

     No, edit lilo.conf, and try not to forget to run 'lilo' to
write the changes before you reboot.  (we all do sometimes ;)

> >     Margot, the behavior you describe is probly a hardware or
> > bios configuration deficiency.  Specially if you close all
> > applications you don't want to start on the next boot,  open
> > a term and su to root, and type 'halt'. You might also
> > experiment with 'reboot'.  In any event, yes, you're probly
> > OK to use the power switch, particularly if you don't see any
> > file system warnings on the next boot.
> >
> >     On an ATX motherboard, try either "4 sec delay" or
> > "instant off" bios settings to see if one works better than
> > the other.
>
> Is ATX a brand name, or is it some sort of specification?
> Mine's a Shuttle Spacewalker MV42N - I don't want to start
> fiddling with bios settings until I have some idea of what I'm
> doing!
>
> Margot

    A specification.  Your Shuttle is a micro ATX.  ....and the
system is up to date enough, that I believe with 2.6.x kernels,
you should (even need/want to) enable apic and acpi.  You do so
by removing any 'noapic', 'nolapic', and 'acpi=off' (or acpi-=ht)
from the 2.6.x kernel stanza in your lilo.conf.  These features
are built into the kernel, no need to explicitly enable them.

    With those option enabled, post the results of (should look
somethin like mine):

 tom # cat /var/log/dmesg | grep -i acpi
 BIOS-e820: 000000001fffc000 - 000000001ffff000 (ACPI data)
 BIOS-e820: 000000001ffff000 - 0000000020000000 (ACPI NVS)
ACPI: RSDP (v000 ASUS                                      ) @
0x000f62a0
ACPI: RSDT (v001 ASUS   A7V600   0x42302e31 MSFT 0x31313031) @
0x1fffc000
ACPI: FADT (v001 ASUS   A7V600   0x42302e31 MSFT 0x31313031) @
0x1fffc0b2
ACPI: BOOT (v001 ASUS   A7V600   0x42302e31 MSFT 0x31313031) @
0x1fffc030
ACPI: MADT (v001 ASUS   A7V600   0x42302e31 MSFT 0x31313031) @
0x1fffc058
ACPI: DSDT (v001   ASUS A7V600   0x00001000 MSFT 0x0100000b) @
0x00000000
ACPI: Local APIC address 0xfee00000
ACPI: LAPIC (acpi_id[0x00] lapic_id[0x00] enabled)
ACPI: LAPIC_NMI (acpi_id[0x00] high edge lint[0x1])
ACPI: IOAPIC (id[0x02] address[0xfec00000] global_irq_base[0x0])
ACPI: INT_SRC_OVR (bus 0 bus_irq 0 global_irq 2 dfl edge)
ACPI: INT_SRC_OVR (bus 0 bus_irq 9 global_irq 9 low level)
ACPI: PM-Timer IO Port: 0xe408
Using ACPI (MADT) for SMP configuration information
ACPI: Subsystem revision 20040311
ACPI: Interpreter enabled
ACPI: Using IOAPIC for interrupt routing
ACPI: PCI Interrupt Link [LNKA] (IRQs 3 4 5 6 7 9 10 *11 12)
ACPI: PCI Interrupt Link [LNKB] (IRQs 3 4 5 6 7 9 10 11 12)
ACPI: PCI Interrupt Link [LNKC] (IRQs 3 4 5 6 7 9 *10 11 12)
ACPI: PCI Interrupt Link [LNKD] (IRQs 3 4 5 6 7 9 10 11 12)
ACPI: PCI Interrupt Link [LNKE] (IRQs 3 4 *5 6 7 9 10 11 12)
ACPI: PCI Interrupt Link [LNKF] (IRQs 3 4 5 6 7 *9 10 11 12)
ACPI: PCI Interrupt Link [LNKG] (IRQs 3 4 5 6 7 9 10 *11 12)
ACPI: PCI Interrupt Link [LNKH] (IRQs 3 4 5 6 7 9 10 11 12)
ACPI: PCI Root Bridge [PCI0] (00:00)
ACPI: PCI Interrupt Routing Table [\_SB_.PCI0._PRT]
ACPI: PCI Interrupt Routing Table [\_SB_.PCI0.PCI1._PRT]
PCI: Using ACPI for IRQ routing
PCI: if you experience problems, try using option 'pci=noacpi' or
even 'acpi=off'
apm: overridden by ACPI.
ACPI: (supports S0 S1 S4 S5)

     I'm usin kernel 2.6.4-1.tmb.5mdk.  As you might see from my
results, both ACPI and APIC are involved with (even needed) for
proper IRQ handling.  If disabling either or both solves system
problems
 .... then it's the system (hardware) that is the problem.

   I don't think yours is. I've read very good things about those
little Shuttle systems, and they certainly look like good capable
hardware choices to me.  Also, 2.6.x kernels, newer the better,
have increasingly capable and good support for apic and acpi that
2.4.x an older didn't.
--
      Tom Brinkman                 Corpus Christi, Texas
               Proud to be an American

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+ Business Computer Projects - Disclaimer -+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
This message, and any associated attachment is confidential.  If you have recieved
it in error, please delete it from your system, do not use or disclose the information
in any way, and notify either the sender or [EMAIL PROTECTED] immediately.
The contents of this message may contain personal views which are not necessarily
the views of Business Computer Projects Ltd., unless specifically stated.  Whilst every
effort has been made to ensure that emails and their attachments are virus free, it is
the responsibility of the recipient(s) to verify the integrity of such emails.
Business Computer Projects Ltd
BCP House
151 Charles Street
Stockport