Stephen Reynolds wrote:

I have just installed a D-Link DSL-504 router. One of the machines connected to this router is dual booting XP/Mandrake 10.

If I boot to Linux, web browsing is very slow, much slower than when I'm booted to XP. Browsing with Linux is also much slower than when I was connecting to my ADSL account using my old Alcatel Speed Touch Home modem.

Mozilla indicates that is taking an usually long time resolving host names.

Does anybody know what I need to do to bring Linux up to speed?

Steve

I used exactly the same router for a long time...

works fine with linux..

have you set your dns server to 192.168.0.1 ???

the 504 has its own dns cache.. so you can point your /etc/resolve.conf to it and it will speed things up considerably.

give it a try.

--
rgds

Frank Hauptle (aka Franki)

For free scripts, online webmaster tools, HTML, XHTML, Perl & PHP tutorials and stuff, visit:
http://htmlfixit.com Free web developer resources.

Please sign our petition to encourage notebook manufacturers to offer video card upgrades just like desktops.
http://www.petitiononline.com/inspiron/petition.html