On Tue, 02 Nov 1999, you wrote:
> On Mon, 01 Nov 1999, you wrote:
> > Thanks.
> > I have a static ip from my isp already. allowing port 80 access will be no
> > problem, as I am  going to set up another pc just for the purpose of hosting my
> > web site, on the world side of the firewall, this way there will be little
> > chance of someone getting into my home lan.  At least I think this will work.
> > What do you think?
> > Do I still need my isp for basic internet access, or is
> > there a way for me to get that access without the isp?
> >
> Have you got several thousand dollars a month for a T1 from
> AT&T, MCI or Sprint? ;-) Seriously, it's a LOT of
> work...unless you're going to have someone host your site
> for you (there are free website hosting places --yahoo,
> TheGlobe.com, etc) which will host your site for the price
> of you allowing them to place a banner ad or two on your
> site (typically a "pop-up" window.)
>       John

I was just curious mostly about what it would require to go isp-less. So it's
basically out of the question for the average user looking to host his own site.
I may have found a way to do it, but with a twist. A site called myinternet.com
has a forwarding service that allows one to host a web site at home. I haven't
checked the detail yet, though.
chip