Stephanus Fengler wrote:

Oliver Marshall wrote:

Hi.

I have just installed Mandrake 10 on my laptop, and it looks amazing.
Thing is, two things don't work, the Synaptics touch pad tapping and the
pcmcia wi-fi card which is a Belkin model based on the Atmel drivers.

Being a linux newbie im hoping to get some help getting them up and
working. The PCMCIA card isn't too urgent, as I have seen an Orinoco
model on ebay which I am told will work outta the box. The synaptics pad
is a pain though.

I have found some instructions on the net, but they basically say
"recompile the kernal with this setting...." which goes WAAAYYY over my
head.

Does anyone have some detailed, perfect for newbies, blow by blow
instructions for how to get the synaptics tapping working ?

Olly

Hi Oliver,
you don't need to recompile the kernel. Everything works with it. What you need to do is, you have to compile synaptics driver, which worked for me out of the box without any difficulties. Basically just follow the instructions in the README file which comes with the synaptic.tar.gz
After that you have to modify your XF86Config-4 to your needs. My touchpad section e.g. looks like:

Section "InputDevice"
   Identifier "Touchpad"
   Driver "synaptics"
   Option "Protocol" "auto-dev"
   Option "MaxSpeed" "0.18"
   Option "MinSpeed" "0.02"
   Option "BottomEdge" "4700"
   Option "UpDownScrolling" "on"
   Option "SHMConfig" "on"
   Option "LeftEdge" "1300"
   Option "FingerLow" "20"
   Option "MaxTapTime" "180"
   Option "MaxTapMove" "220"
   Option "FingerHigh" "30"
   Option "VertScrollDelta" "100"
   Option "TopEdge" "1300"
   Option "RightEdge" "5700"
   Option "AccelFactor" "0.001"
EndSection

which is in a way optimized for my hp pavilion zt3000 notebook.

Cheers,
fengler

I too am having this problem. What I did was urpmi the synaptics driver. Then, it still didn't work. So it was suggested to me to add evdev to /etc/modules.preload. Now, it only works after a reboot, until I plug a mouse in. Weird.