I tried kernels using urpmi also, but have reverted to the way I did them for
years...

Download and install the kernel sources for the new kernel.

Download the rpm's for whichever variety of kernel(s) you want. Logon as root
and install the rpms.

Open etc/lilo.conf with an editor and make sure the stanza is there for every
new kernel.

Open a terminal as root and issue a lilo -v command.

Reboot and try out the new kernels.

If you are satisfied that the new kernel operates correctly, open lilo.conf
again and change the default boot entry to the *label* of the kernel you want
to boot as a default. As root, open a terminal and issue lilo -v

That's all there is to it.

Rick Kunath