On Wednesday 07 April 2004 07:56 pm, rikona wrote:
> RU> The IP address refers to the address of the machine through a
> particular RU> network port.
>
> RU> The Ethernet address refers to a particular network card.
>
> I'm not sure I understand the difference for one computer with one
> NIC. Wouldn't they both be equivalent to 192.168.0.4, for example?

No, the ip address or the nnn.nnn.nnn.nnn as you called it is a software
assigned address.  The xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx address is hardcoded into the nic
and each nic has a unique one.  This is called a mac address.

A dhcp server will read the mac address and use this to reserve a specific ip
address for a machine throughout the lease period, but they are not related
in any way.
--
/g